Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Paperback Writer

I went on date #3 with the Paperback Writer last night. We went to a lecture on Churchill, which was surprisingly: a) interesting, b) short, and c) well-attended. There was free wine and like six different kinds of cheese, which made the event even better. We were sitting there, waiting for the lecture to begin, and I asked him if he thought it was weird that we haven't exchanged phone numbers. He said no, as we both hate talking on the phone (hey Dad, I bet you never thought your daughter would cop to that) and wouldn't answer it anyway. I told him about Alli's suggestion that we try to conduct our entire relationship without ever talking on the phone. He said that sounded great! So we decided that we would exchange phone numbers in case of emergencies or the destruction of the internet (please, God, even though I don't believe in you I ask you to not let that happen)--but I would only accept his number if it was written on a cocktail napkin. Do you see why I click with this guy?

After the lecture we went for sushi, which was mmmmm good. He let me pick up the check, which was cool. I've been out with guys who never let me pick up the check, and I hate that. I don't make tons of money, but I'm not in the poorhouse or anything, and sometimes it's nice to treat people. I'm not an overly generous person in many ways, and I can be downright territorial about food and stingy with my time, so paying for meals, or cooking meals for people, is something that I can do for someone else. When you deprive me of that, I get a little pissy. It's a red flag, that's for sure.

Anyway, during dinner he mentioned that he wasn't feeling well (he's been courting some kind of bug for a few days) and then asked if I wanted to go out for a drink. I suggested that, since he wasn't feeling well, he could invite me back to his place. He jumped at the idea, and so I got to meet his roommate (who was watching America's Next Top Model which pretty much means that I love him) and the cats (who I automatically love cause they're, well, fuzzy and purry [it doesn't take much]). We watched tv (and by watched tv I mean made out on the couch while the tv was on in the background) and then actually watched tv (The Daily Show was on). It was an EXCELLENT evening.

I don't want to say anything too enthusiastically (ha! As if my pessimism would actually allow THAT to happen), but I definitely get a good feel from this thing, this burgeoning relationship or whatever you want to call it.

1 Comments:

  • I don't know how to feel about the no phone thing. I never viewed you as someone who doesn't like to talk on the phone... sometimes yes, but as a norm... hmmm. Anyway, as long as you're fine with it.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home