Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Friday, September 08, 2006

This is the new year

I know that technically the new year begins on January 1st (though I think that the new year should coincide with the advent of spring, but that’s another post for another day), but for me, the new year has always begun in September. I have been in educational institutions in one form or another since I was three years old. I took a two-year break in between college and grad school, but for twenty years of my twenty-five-year life, September equals the beginning of a new season, a new year.

Each year, come September, I would make the familiar school-related resolutions—this year I’m gonna study harder, get all of my homework done, not procrastinate. This year I’m gonna get all As. I’ll join clubs and take exercise classes and be outgoing and popular.

Of course, within weeks those resolutions would fade away, and I’d start blowing off homework for pleasure reading and the procrastinating would begin in earnest. I might have joined clubs but my shoddy attendance record would soon reveal my inherent dislike for organized activities—and I love the Groucho Marx sentiment of not wanting to be a part of a club that would have people like me as members. As for exercise, it’s not that I’m opposed to it when it comes to doing fun physical activities like hiking or snorkelling, it’s that going to the gym just bores me. I have never been accused of being an overachiever, and that’s the way I like it.

Still, there’s something so motivating and refreshing about starting a new school year. Classes haven’t begun so they haven’t had a chance to get painfully boring. My free time hasn’t been sucked away by homework and essays and lectures, so I can still spare some time for clubs and fitness. I can totally imagine throwing myself into school with gusto, and finally achieving those straight As.

So, in light of that, I’d like to present my completely naïve and why-the-hell-doesn’t-she-ever-learn New School Year Resolutions.

  1. I will attend each and every lecture.
  1. I will be interested in what I am supposed to be learning; after all, if I’m going to make a career out of this stuff, I might as well enjoy it.
  1. I will not procrastinate.
  1. I will do all of my homework.
  1. I will be an involved member of the ALA student chapter.
  1. I will sign up for and actually attend two fitness classes (ballet and step aerobics this time).
(Right off the bat, I can tell you that Resolutions 1-4 will be broken, probably by the second week of class. Resolution 5 I might be able to swing, but Resolution 6 is clearly wishful thinking. Oh well--to thine own self be true, right?)

1 Comments:

  • Hey we did a step arobic class one term. It was fun with that lady and her 80's music and your lack of coardination.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home