Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Friday, August 18, 2006

You are so not as cool as you think you are

So, first of all, Aundra is here visiting me. For the weekend. She and I have been friends since our freshman year of college, since we were 18, and she is one of my favorite people on earth. You know how much of a stickler I am about spelling and grammar? And you know how she can't spell to save her life (this is the girl who once thought "of" was spelled "ove." That's right--she misspelled a 2-letter word)? Well, I am actually willing to overlook her amazing spelling inability WITHOUT being remotely bitchy or judgmental about it. That's how much I love this girl. So that fact that she's here ALL WEEKEND and I got to take today off work means that I'm happier than a pig in shit.

Still, when things annoy, one must blog. I'm reading Martini Boys, trying to find a good place to go tonight, and I came across an article about a bar that was decorated to look like a '70s bachelor pad. Now, there ain't nothing I like more than anything retro, so I read on. The article mentions the design firm that decorated the bar, which brings me to Pet Peeeve (of the day) Number One:

*Capital letters exist for a reason. Use them. I don't care how goddamn fabulous you think you are, how many times you've been featured in I.D. or Wallpaper or Architecture for Hipsters (I made that one up), you still have to use capital letters, lest some unsuspecting reader happen upon this sentence:
"Continuing to work with munge/leung: design associates..." and think that the writers of the article were trying to spell "mange" but put a U in instead of an A. I seriously HATE companies that don't capitalize the first letter of their name. And poets. e.E. e. E. cCummings, you're so on my shit list.

*While we're on the subject of people who think they are cool demonstrating their coolness through punctuation, the proper way to write out a phone number isn't, and has never been, 666. 666.6666
Periods are not dashes, ok?

*The other thing that annoys that I thought of yesterday, is people who clip their cell phones to their belts. Or wear them in those cell phone protector things on their belts. Or whatever. If you have pockets put it in your goddamn pocket. 10 bucks says you're not so important that the person calling you is going to freak out if you pick up on the second ring (or second rendition of Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal) instead of the first due to the delay that inevitably results from taking your phone out of your pocket. The worst offenders? Guys who wear jeans AND their cell phones clipped to their belts. Fucking losers.

Ok, that's it. Must go be happy now!

5 Comments:

  • i don't use capitals. except for proper nouns. actually, sometimes not even then. i am choosing to believe you overlook this because you think i am also one of the best people on the planet.

    at least my grammar is pretty well done!

    By Blogger al, at 12:04 PM  

  • I'm one of the ones who does the phone number with periods - but only recently. I think I was sick of looking at dashes. I'm sure I'll revert back eventually.

    By Blogger Kristen, at 4:57 PM  

  • Alli, I meant people using capitals for their company's name. I never use caps in emails, and it doesn't bother me on blogs.

    By Blogger Tasha, at 7:00 PM  

  • NO NO NO today at lunch we saw someone who had their pager (yes, a pager IT"S 2006 and NO she wasn't some Dr. or anything) clipped to the V-neck of her shirt. And this wasn't a little V and the "things" that it V-ed weren't little. It was just dumb.

    By Anonymous aundra, at 7:32 PM  

  • good tasha, because I tend not to use capital letters most of the time. except when writing the word 'I', because common, 'i' looks ridiculous.

    By Blogger heather., at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home