Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Sunday, August 13, 2006

This is what today looked like


The past few days have been amazing: the air has been cool, the sun has been shining, and the sky is blue blue blue. No humidity. What a relief from the heat wave! Too bad my mood hasn't been as good as the weather. Nothing specific is wrong; work is fine, life is fine, etc. I've just been feeling melancholy lately, and I think part of it is that I just don't really feel like I live here. Which is weird, considering that I do, for now, and considering that I've been here for a while. Maybe I'm just restless, I don't know.

Anyway. I bought some really pretty cotton/wool yarn a couple of weeks ago with the intention of making some kind of sweater. Cotton has always been my knitting nemesis, but I've got very sensitive skin and was tired of itching all the time, so I decided to give it another go. The yarn is Cascade Sierra Quatro, number 82; it's a marled yarn with four plied strands of pink, green, pale blue, and the palest lavender (I didn't even notice that there was any purple in it until I looked very closely). I decided on this sweater:

It's from Rebecca 31, pattern 27. I had started knitting it in the flat, as per the pattern, and then I saw this version on Juju Strickt. It's absolutely gorgeous and I love everything about it. It's knit in the round which I've never done before (seamless sweater, not circular knitting), and I emailed the knitter/blogger, asking her how she converted the pattern, which is for a sweater knitted in the flat, to circular. She was very kind and emailed me back with instructions.

I immediately cast on and this is what I have so far:


The pattern calls for the ribbing at the bottom to be knitted on smaller needles, which I didn't have. I made up for it by knitting in the English style, holding the yarn in my right hand. This is how I learned to knit, and how I always used to knit until I taught myself Continental. Now I can do both, but I prefer Continental. Anyway, my English knitting is pretty tight, so I just knitted the ribbing using the English method, then switched when I got to the stockinette stitch. (I'm very, very proud of my cleverness.)
Here you can see the ribbing:


Here's a close-up of the "seam," where the sides would be joined if I was knitting them in the flat. I am doing waist shaping, so this picture shows the decreases:


In other fiber news, there has been an unfortunate set-back with the Pistachio Aran. After sewing together the shoulder seams and realizing that the side cabley guys didn't match up, I consulted with my roommate. At first I was going to just rip it back to the armhole decreases and knit up the rest a bit differently, but after Lorien and I looked at it closely, it was brought to my attention that I would actually have to pull out one entire side and re-knit it so that it's the reverse of the other side. That didn't make sense, did it? When I first knit the front and back, I knit them exactly the same. However, when placed back-to-back, they are not mirror images of each other. So against all of my laziness and slacker wisdom, I decided to frog away and redo it. I actually don't feel that badly about it, cause I think it'll look better in the end, and if I'm gonna put in the energy to make something, it might as well look good, right?

1 Comments:

  • I better look like that every day I'm there!!!! Yeah I'll be there tomorrow night!!!!! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

    By Blogger Aundra, at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home