Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Teach a Man to Fish Day

A couple of posts ago, I wrote about my co-worker, Lisa, who is the creator of some amazing shit. Her jewelry is breathtaking. She mentioned wanting to learn how to knit a while ago (dangerous words to say around these ears), so I suggested that if I taught her how to knit, she could show me how to make a necklace. I decided that we'd call it Teach a Man to Fish Day, in honor of the old adage about self-sufficiency.

So. Today was the Day. Lisa graciously allowed me and my stupid cold to change our original plans, and she hoofed it over here this evening, bringing her beading supplies with her. I bought a couple of glass beads at the Distillery District on Sunday and we decided on a color scheme for a necklace based on the colors of the beads.
With Lisa's assistance, this is what I made:



I think that this jewelry-making thing is so cool! I know that I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head, but I loooove costume jewelry. It's so much fun and seriously, how awesome would it be to have a necklace to coordinate with every shirt in my wardrobe? (It would be pretty awesome, that's how awesome it would be.) I'll be on Queen West on Saturday, and it would be rather foolish of me to avoid the abundant bead stores that populate the area...

Moving on. After making my necklace, I taught Lisa how to knit. This is the only picture she would allow me to take, so I hope you enjoy it!


Even though I jump at the chance to do it, I'm always a little bit wary of teaching people to knit, mainly because knitting was so daunting to me the first time I tried it. I use the long-tail cast on method, which can be confusing (but so pretty!), and I feel like my "students" are disappointed when they are done casting on and I tell them that we haven't even started the actual knitting yet. Lisa, true to beginner form, cast on SOOOO tightly. Like, tighter than I think I've ever seen. By the end of the evening, though, she'd gotten the hang of it pretty well and was knitting away. She took home some yarn (red, of course) and some circular needles and a book, and said she'd practice tonight. What do you think? Have I created (another) knitting monster? I seriously hope so. The stitch n stitchin' bitches that Stephanie, Lorien, and I have every now and again could use another member!

1 Comments:

  • Those are some little needles. I never teach with such little needles but you are trumped me as the master knitter so...

    By Blogger Aundra, at 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home