Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Mean Nice People Suck

This afternoon, I was at a grocery store buying dinner for work tonight. Usually, Dominion is super crowded and the lines at the checkstands are very long. However, it being the middle of the day, the store wasn’t too busy.

I was behind a woman who was buying a few things: chips, a bottle of soda, and a magazine. Her total came to $9.28, and she counted out her change for the cashier, who said, “$9.28. Right on.” I assumed that the customer had provided exact change. The cashier printed out her receipt and handed it to her, and started ringing up my sushi.

Most people, when they’ve been given their receipt at a store, start packing up their stuff and get out of there. Not this woman. She stood there until the clerk acknowledged her.

Stupid customer: Actually, you owe me two cents.
Cashier: What?
SC: Yeah, I gave you $9.30, so you owe me two cents.
C: Oh… Do you have the bill?
[The receipt was provided and they looked over it to determine that, indeed, the cashier had been given $9.30 and therefore, the customer was owed $.02.)
SC: Well, it’s not a big deal. I don’t really need it.
C: No, you’re owed two cents, so here you go.

Me: [in my head] What in the name of God is wrong with this customer? It’s two goddamn pennies, for the love of crap. Obviously, she was making some kind of ridiculous point by quibbling over two cents. Was it to alert the cashier to her mistake? Was it to embarrass or irritate the cashier? Was it to just be a stupid, anal-retentive waste of space?

I officially hate humanity.

2 Comments:

  • you should've ended "and that's my two cents"
    ha!
    sorry...couldn't resist.

    By Blogger akd, at 9:01 AM  

  • I got off the train the other day, was walking towards the escaltor and, apparently, walked in front of this man. Who felt as though he could just not hold in his angry comment, "fine, go right ahead!". At which point I stepped out of the way and gestured for him to go ahead. He responded with, "no, no. it's fine." and sneered at me. I wanted to say, "Sir, if it is so vitally important for you to be one stair in front of me on the escalator that you could not resist commenting, by all means...". Of course, I said nothing but just quietly reaffirmed my misanthropy.
    And I am happy that we have the OC, wine, and misanthropy in common, tasha.

    By Blogger heather., at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home