Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Friday, August 25, 2006

In the Pluto debacle, I think we're losing sight of something greater than us all...

...What kind of impact will this have on astrology? Pluto is the ruling planet of the astrological sign Scorpio. What will Bill Gates, Goldie Hawn, P. Diddy, and Mickey Mouse do now? Apparently, Scorpions will now have to deal with Mars being their ruling planet, as it was before Pluto was discovered.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Mars and Pluto are just about as different as two planets--excuse me, as one planet and one dwarf planet--can be: Mars was the god of war rules the sign of Aries. Aries people (Arieans?) are known for being feisty little hellcats. Pluto, on the other hand, is icy and cold, the farthest planet from the sun in our solar system until the astronomers decided to go throw a wrench in MVEMJSNUP (who remembers the Saved by the Bell episode where this acronym saved Zack's ass in the trivia contest?) and leave us with MVEMJSNU or perhaps MVEMcJSNUpc which allows for the presence of dwarf planets but sounds would sound ridiculous if you could pronounce it which you can't, and Scorpions are known for--actually, it turns out that Scorpions are known for being feisty little hellcats under a frozen exterior.

Um, astrology? I'm gonna call your bluff on this one. The way I see it, you can't just tack on a frozen exterior onto an Ariean profile and call it something else just cause a new planet was discovered. God I'm glad I'm a Taurus. Even though we're stubborn as hell, at least I know that Venus isn't going anywhere. I'd hate to have my identity be so firmy affixed to something that is a planet then isn't then is but is a dwarf. Me, Stevie Wonder, and Freud are safe!

5 Comments:

  • do you have any idea how thrilled i am by that saved by the bell reference? i was going to throw that in myself except i thought no one would have any idea what i was talking about.

    truly glorious.

    By Blogger McGeekan, at 12:49 PM  

  • Awww, now be nicer to Astrology. Its done nothing to hurt you, in fact, it never told you anything... interpreters (those who write overly-general horoscopes) will indicate the stars "say" something. In fact, originally, the moon was deemed a planet and given a position in the chart of all "10" planets. We know today that our moon is not a planet, but astrology is the study of the influence of this astronomical body over our lives and natural tendancies. Puny earthly science will continue to change and alter at will, but I would not be so quick to blame this on Astrology which seeks to explain our earthly motives and emotions within the framework of those larger astronomical bodies we allow science to call "planets."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 PM  

  • wow, anonymous. wow. that's all i can say. i guess that today is not one of my "intelligent" days, cause while I sometimes get all in a tizzy over astrology (which, by the way, should not be capitalized, as it's NOT a proper noun) today is sure as hell the day that i want to laugh at astrology for being so lame. sorry, but that's the kind of day it is!

    By Blogger Tasha, at 3:51 PM  

  • Wait.. As a Pisces/Aquarius am I ruled by two planet? But here is some more confusion... Aquarius is the water bearer but it's an air sigh... And pisces is a water sign So do I carry myself? An the P side of me is ruled by Neptune and Jupiter but the A side of me is rulled by Uranus and Saturn... isn't that "all" the outer planets? Does that mean I'm big and cold and lack air and water but have lots of moons and rings? Dude being on the cusp is hard. Wait wasn't your blog about astronomy... well I took that class in College... It counted as a science and math class i think. Two birds with one stone. That's the P side of me.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 5:35 PM  

  • you have all this talk about not being cool and not knowing your pop culture references. But, you dropped that Saved by the Bell one, and I know that you know your OC backwards and forwards.
    I have been watching the Degrassi Every Episode Marathon on Noggin and that's all I want to talk about...

    By Blogger heather., at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home