Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Welcoming another spinner to the fold...

From: Lorien
To: Tasha
Subject: RE:
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:43:21 +0000

Hello Tasha,
You should check out the wonderful,
plied yarn hanging in the bathroom. Yes, that's right, I plied my
yarn today and have winded, washed, and hung it up. FOR SHIZZLE
DUDE!!! I am SO pleased with myself. Making yarn is just the coolest
thing. I want to spin more right now! Except that I'm not going to.
I think I need to eat some food and then need to leave. I wonder
what I shall make with my tiny bit of yarn. There really isn't very
much of it. I shall make something special. hahaha.

I hope work's not too boring. See you later!

Love, Lorien





___________________________________________________

From: Tasha
To: Lorien
Subject: RE: RE:

Dude,

I am SO proud of you! Spinning is seriously like crack--once you start it's really, really hard to stop! If you're anything like me, once you start spinning with colors it's even worse... Why would you clean your room when you COULD watch the blue fade into the green fade into the purple fade into the red... Why would you call home or cook dinner when you COULD *start* plying those full bobbins, just to see if two-ply or three-ply is the way to go with this yarn?

I have to warn you, though, that as I was introduced to one of the Rules of Spinning by my spinning teacher, so am I going to introduce you: you MUST make something out of your first handspun yarn. In my case, I had spun this very thick, practically ropy gray yarn, and I hated it (you know how I feel about colors versus neutrals). I also had a minor mishap while washing it in my friend's washing machine, and the result was thick, ropy, felted gray yarn. I saved what I could of it, and ended up knitting a hat. This was right around my graduation from college, and my parents were visiting. We were in Washington State in May, at Mt. St. Helens, and it was HOT. My dad, he of the bald head, likes to wear hats, even wool hats, when he will be exposing the dome to the sun. My father totally stepped up to the plate and wore my ugly, handspun felted gray WOOL hat on our stifling, hot, sticky walk. Parental love (or fear of sunburn) is something else, huh?

Happy spinning,
Tasha

4 Comments:

  • oh man, i can just see lorien typing out that email. one thing i love about both of you--you sound like yourselves in an email.

    and i, of the non-knitting persuasion, think that everything you guys make is simply incredible. not only because it blows my mind that you can produce things that i have no understanding of, but because, well, you made it.

    and i like the look of wonky blankets! they're charming!

    By Blogger al, at 2:27 PM  

  • Alli, you are cool. Thankyou for your compliments. I love spinning! I didn't think it was that cool until I had finished my first tiny skein of yarn. Now I must spin more!

    Tasha, thankyou for teaching me to spin and knit. What would be life be like if I hadn't ever learned? Haha.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 11:37 PM  

  • Yeah, go Lorian. Maybe I should bring my wheel over and sell it to you since I NEVER use it. I can also give you the 800lb of wool I have. Spinning and California just don't seem to mix, the wrong climate I think.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 8:15 PM  

  • dude, aundra? if you want to give ME your wool, please please do. bring it all here when you visit!!

    By Blogger Tasha, at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home