Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Slouching toward adulthood

In my entire life, since my first kiss at the age of 12, I have not had a sober first kiss or a sober first date. With anyone. Ever. I've always used alcohol as a social lubricant; after a few drinks, I become more relaxed, funnier, and more flirtatious. However, recent events that shall not be discussed on this blog have brought it to my attention that perhaps getting sloppy the first time I meet someone isn't the way to go. This was confirmed by my therapist, who pointed out that my friends don't have to be drunk in order to enjoy my company, nor I theirs. That's true, but I honestly cannot imagine a world in which I go on a first date without drinking.

I have a date tonight with a guy I met on Lavalife. We've been emailing back and forth for a couple of weeks, and so far so good. I'm not content to email or IM forever, though, so I suggested that we meet. We're going to go to the Andy Warhol exhibit at the AGO and then out for drinks.

This guy is 32, a bit older than me, and I'm a little worried about coming across as very young. There's not much I can do about my current place in life, but I figure that acting like a teenager is something I can curb. With that in mind, I present you my goals for tonight's date:
1. Do not get drunk.
2. Do not remove any articles of clothing except shoes.
3. Try not to say "like" every other word
4. Try not to swear as much as I usually do

If I can do those four things, I'll be fine.

Wish me luck

4 Comments:

  • good luck! and have fun!

    (and i mean, swear a little!)


    also, have you finished the online dating blog? because we need to chat if you have.

    By Blogger al, at 7:06 PM  

  • I wish you tons of luck, even though i was a bit harsh on the phone, I'll get out of my funk soon.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 2:21 AM  

  • online dating blog is finished

    By Blogger Tasha, at 9:27 AM  

  • FILL US IN!

    By Blogger McGeekan, at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home