Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Saturday, July 29, 2006

I'm no longer afraid of dyeing

Dyeing yarn and wool is something that I've wanted to get into for a while. I tried Kool-Aid dyeing but was never that into the sickly colors. A couple of months ago, I went to G & S Dye here in Toronto, and bought their acid dye kit. For 30 bucks, you get the three primary colors and black, soap, and citric acid to set the dye.





Not a bad deal! Plus, the guy who was working there when I stopped in was ultra helpful and knowledgeable.

Because I'd done some dyeing before (Kool-Aid) and hadn't been too thrilled with the results, I wanted to read up on dyeing yarn before I started. I consulted Deb Menz's Color in Spinning, which has a wealth of information on color theory, and Lynne Vogel's Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook, an indispensable resource for dyeing rovings. I have some roving and a pound cone of white yarn I got a while ago with the idea of dyeing it, but as this was my maiden voyage (and because I want to have a "dyeing day" later this week), I started with some sale yarn I got at Knit-O-Matic. I had two skeins of 50 grams each.

I put those in a water bath to soak while I set up my workspace.


My workspace pretty much consisted of the deck. I don't exactly have the most professional set-up here. (We are not going to discuss the windiness of Toronto, nor are we going to talk about how pissed off I was when a freshly mixed bowl of green dye upturned all over the aforementioned books. Let's just say that there was a lot of profanity.)

Anyway, after the yarns had soaked and the wind had messed up my books, I was ready to begin dyeing. I laid down plastic wrap on a drop cloth and secured it with masking tape, then laid the wet skeins on the plastic. I had mixed up four colors of dye; two purples and two greens. There was a light and a dark purple, and a forest-y green and a light, kind of kelly green. I hadn't decided on a particular effect (stripes, etc.), so I just started painting. Eventually, I figured that if I stuck to the two most abundant colors (one green and one purple), I could use the other two as accents. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture before I wrapped up the plastic, but here's what it sort of looks like:



And here they are after steaming:




Now, I just have to wait for it to cool (which will take forever) and then I can wash, rinse, and dry it!

1 Comments:

  • Yes, she actually cursed Toronto for it's windiness. Apparently, the other cities Tasha has lived in don't have wind.
    Well, Toronto is a windy city and I too have cursed the wind on occasion (usually in winter when it is freezing - not in summer when it's sweet relief). It is very hot right now. Yes.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home