Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I can't think of a clever title

Sometimes when I post on this blog, I try hard to think of a good title. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Today I gave it about five seconds and then said, to hell with it. You can't be clever all the time.

Anyway, the new issue of Knitty is up and I'm disappointed once again. Why is the entire issue nothing but socks and hats, two things I rarely knit? I am firmly entrenched in sweater land and have no desire to knit socks (no one ever sees them) or hats (I look like a 12-year-old in them). I understand that summer is not the time for sweaters, but at least throw me a tank top.
And angel wings do not count.
Sigh. God, I was so going to leave it at that, but why be shy? Angel wings? Are. You. Freakin. Kidding?? Why, just because it can be knit, do people assume that it should? The designer is obviously a creative young woman and I guess that if she wants to knit angel wings there's nothing stopping her, but I would love to see her put her talents toward something that doesn't scream "church bazaar."

And, I'm back.

Despite a lack of decent patterns, I discovered that all is not lost at Knitty. I jumped over to the articles section of the magazine. Lo and behold, I found a treasure trove of information. Knitty may not be taking as much of an, ahem, editorial role in pattern selection as perhaps they should be, but they sure are doing something right with their featured articles. I learned about new ways of binding off and cool knitting podcasts, found some good resources on color theory as it pertains to knitting and finally, got all revved up to go to fiber festivals this fall.

5 Comments:

  • Dude, I am SO pissed at Knitty. Furious. I have never been so disappointed in Knitty. What is with all the socks? And ugly ass hats? The only hat I would even consider wearing is the wave intarsia one and it's not even knitted properly. And why the fuck would anyone spend time knitting a beautiful lace or cable pattern just to put it on a sock and hide it in their shoes and under their pant legs? RIDICULOUS!!! Knitting is about SWEATERS with a sprinkling of hats, socks, gloves, and scarves. A SPRINKLING!!! Fuck I'm mad. Sweaters are beautiful. And this is supposed to be a summer issue. Why would I need a wool hat or gloves in the summer? I wonder if the morons at Knitty can tell me. Ok, I'm done. I should really start taking Celexa again.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 12:41 AM  

  • I forgot to mention the angel wings. Fucking ugly and useless. I will hit anyone I see wearing knitted angel wings.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 12:44 AM  

  • I don't mean to be cheeky or anything, but maybe if you want to see more sweaters and things like that in Knitty, you should submit some. I attended the party at Lettuce Knit to celebrate Amy's move from her normal full time job to pursuing her own interests. At one point, she mentioned about all the sock patterns, etc, on Knitty, and was aware that people either love them or hate them. She seemed to want to cut down on them, but I guess she hasn't had as many sweaters submitted.
    It sounds like she's aware that maybe the patterns on Knitty arn't floating a lot of people's boats, and she sounded like she genuinely cared about it. Before you get too angry, maybe try your hand at designing :)
    If nothing else, at least it's a free, online magazine. You're not $10+ in the hole for a disappointing issue of a hard-copy magazine!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 3:19 PM  

  • did lorien get dissed here, or did I?

    By Blogger Tasha, at 11:13 AM  

  • Laurie,

    I would LOVE to submit stuff to Knitty, and I'm sure Lorien would too. I'm currently knitting a sweater that I designed and we'll see if it turns into something that a) I myself would wear and b) would encourage other people to knit. And I certainly see your point that it's pretty useless to bitch about something if you're not trying to change it.

    However, I do think that criticizing Knitty is sort of par for the course: if you're going to publish something online, you have to be open to criticism.

    That said, I definitely admire people who find the time to dream up original patterns, knit them, write them up, take pictures, and submit them. I barely even find time to clean my room and get a little bit of knitting done, and I live a fairly stress-free life (no kids, spouse, etc.).

    Thanks for commenting!

    PS--Do you have a blog?

    By Blogger Tasha, at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home