Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy birthdays, countries!

Happy belated birthday, Canada (July 1)
Happy early birthday, United States (July 4)

To celebrate the Canada Day long weekend, Lorien, Dave, and I drove up to Lorien's mother's cottage near Ottawa.



Ostensibly, we were there to paint the cottage, and we did, but I definitely didn't go out of my love for painting. I have been away from Toronto twice since school ended, and both times were good, but I wouldn’t necessarily say that I’ve done a lot of relaxing this summer. It seems like there’s always something to do—obviously, there’s work, but there’s also social events, like birthday parties and just general bar nights, and naturally, there are tons of errands to run. So I came up here this weekend to paint, drink beer, hang out with my friends, and knit. I was going to bring my spinning wheel, but Lorien pointed out that with the knitting, painting, movie-watching, and sheep farm-visiting, I perhaps had enough activities for the weekend.

Yesterday, Saturday, Lorien, Dave, and I visited a farm called Windblest. Lorien had been there in May when she and her mother were here opening the cottage; she bought some wool for spinning and her mom bought sheepskins and a couple of blankets. We arrived unannounced and the woman who takes care of the wooly part of the operation was very gracious, even though we interrupted her while she was trying to paint her porch. We were greeted by a very friendly border collie, Seamus, who nosed crotches and humped legs all around. Ahh, canine love.

While Dave stayed outside with the dog, Lorien and I were invited into the fiber room. There were bags of raw fleece and processed fleece, and hand-knitted hats adorned the walls. There was a cupboard with hand-dyed skeins of yarn that we poked through and I ended up buying these three skeins (I'm thinking felted pillow).



I made excellent progress on my Hot Lava Cardigan and I'll try to post pictures soon. For now though, here are some more pictures of the weekend.






P.S. I was supposed to appear at the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building in Miami for jury duty at 8:00 am on Monday (today). I so tried to get out of jury duty: I called them to tell them that I wouldn’t be appearing on Monday, and tried to explain that I might be going back to Miami sometime in December but had no idea when and would have to return to school almost immediately; unfortunately, the woman I spoke to was quite positive that no matter how short my break was, I would certainly be accommodated as a juror. Normally being accommodated is quite nice; however, in this case I would have no problem with being told that I would just not be eligible to sit on a jury or even be part of a jury pool. How is that since I turned 18, I've been summoned for jury duty three times? I'm pretty sure I'm not a desirable juror--maybe I just need to appear once and spout off some totally random and radical opinions. That might get my name off the "summon often" list.

4 Comments:

  • jury duty? seriously?

    maybe you can take charge all veronica mars-like.

    hope you had a good weekend!

    By Blogger al, at 12:39 AM  

  • That hanging baby really shows me your strong maternal instincts.

    By Blogger McGeekan, at 10:55 AM  

  • Yeah, the hanging baby...my mom found it after some renters left and hung it from the tree branch. That was at least two years ago. I can't believe it's still around. So ridiculous.

    Thanks for your help painting this weekend. Hopefully we can get up there in August and actually relax.

    Did you have internet access at the cottage? How did you post on Sunday? If you did have access, I am incredibly surprised. CRAZY!!!

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 3:31 PM  

  • jury duty huh? that'd be an interesting (and maybe scary?) experience. Reminds me of the movie "The Life of David Gale" -> super good/provocative etc. Anyone else see it?

    http://www.discoverkate.com/movies/david-gale/

    By Blogger akd, at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home