Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Monday, June 05, 2006

Pistachio Aran



Last night while Alicia, Joy and June were over for dinner and knitting, I started working on my cabled sweater. I was going to knit the Urban Aran from Patons, but due to sizing difficulties, I decided to design my own pullover, using the techniques I learned in Pattern Drafting and some of the shaping from The Knitter's Book of Handy Sweater Patterns. The cable stitch patterns I got from A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker. I loooove that book. I have another book of stitch patterns, The Knitting Stitch Bible, but it doesn't even come close to the comprehensive, creative encyclopedia that is A Second Treasury. Barbara Walker wrote 4 Treasury books, and though the pictures are unfortunately in black and white, even for the colorwork, I think that these are indispensable resources for knitters who don't want or need to use commercially-available patterns.

Anyway, I designed a fairly simple set-in sleeve sweater, with ribbing along the sides and three panels of cable patterns. The central panel is called Framed Cable, which I like primarily because of the triangles flanking the cable.



On either side of the Framed Cable, there are panels of a simple twist-stitch pattern called Rapunzel's Braid.
This is the left one:


This is the right one:


So far, this sweater is fun to work. Cables and lace and basically any stitch pattern beyond stockinette are fun to work because you can actually see the progress you've made. Stockinette, which shows off color changes beautifully, can be eternally boring, though definitely easy to do while watching TV or talking or drinking, since you don't have to pay any attention to it at all.

Ok I don't know how to end this post so I'm just going to end it. Ta ta!

2 Comments:

  • Your sweater is going to be really cool. I love the way the yarn looks when it's cabled. And of course, pistachio is just a wonderful colour. I was almost going to get some pistachio ice cream today but went for the standard pralines and cream instead.

    I am excited about your sweater and impressed that you designed your own. YAY!

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 8:51 PM  

  • Damn woman! You are GOOD! You're designing! That's so cool! Is that Lamb's Pride?
    I'm doing my first felted project at the moment. Good times. My blog is dead to me - mostly because I'm too lazy to keep it up. I suck. But you don't! Yay!

    By Blogger Kristen, at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home