Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Nawlins

I leave at the crack of dawn tomorrow for the American Library Association's Annual Conference in New Orleans, LA. I was chosen to participate in the student-to-staff program sponsored by the ALA for their student chapters. My name was picked out of a hat (lucky me--I didn't have to write an essay or anything! Cause if I had had to, we all know I wouldn't have been chosen) and so I'm off to the conference for five days.

I haven't really been thinking much about it, as I've had other things to concentrate on for the past few weeks, but now that I'm actually going I'm starting to get excited. The events that I'll be able to attend sound pretty interesting ("From the Bronx to the Burbs: Defining, Collecting, and Preservation of Hip Hop Culture, Literature, & Resources" sounds like it could be cool), and New Orleans is a pretty interesting city made even more so by Hurricane Katrina.

I've been to NO before so it'll be interesting to see the havoc that Katrina wrought, to see how it has changed the urban landscape, and to see how it compares to the change that took place in Miami after Hurricane Andrew. Not that I'll get the same kind of intimate look at NO that I did with Miami. I was hoping to participate in Librarians Build Communities!, the joint effort of the New Orleans Public Library and various service organizations (Habitat for Humanity and United Way were mentioned) to encourage conference attendees to spend one full day working to aid the city and its residents, but because I'm expected at my volunteer "job" that won't be happening.

Anyway, it should be interesting and I'll be bringing my computer with me to the conference so I'll be able to update and hopefully post some pictures.

3 Comments:

  • don't forget to make a friend with whom you dismiss all this "library-archives" nonsense...they are the best kind, of course. i just don't want you coming home and being all "i can't wait for school to start!" (i don't have much fear of this...)

    have a great trip!

    By Blogger al, at 4:49 PM  

  • No kidding! You definitely have to find a friend with whom you can be irreverent. That event/lecture sounds pretty sexy though.

    By the way, I like the list of things not to forget that you left on your mirror. So vanity is good for something.

    Have fun!

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 1:30 PM  

  • Hope you are having fun. I needed you but your lack of technology (ie: no cell) That continues to drive me up the wall, I had to make due with other friends and all is alright. Miss you!

    By Blogger Aundra, at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home