Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Friday, June 02, 2006

Memo: New Boyfriend Standards

Ok, so I spent Friday night watching The Office. My excuse--I worked all week. My other excuse--I'm going to a party tomorrow night. Anyway, I love The Office. I think that it's hilarious and the casting is fabulous. I can't even pick a favorite character. If you people aren't watching it, you need to start.

Even though it would be hard to choose a favorite from among the many excellent characters, I have to say that I love Jim and Pam (Jam). Reason: everyone wants a Jim in their lives. He's like Lloyd Dobbler (...Say Anything) except way hotter. And funnier. And more creative. Another reason: girls can easily imagine themselves as Pam. She's smart but not too smart, pretty but not beautiful, and definitely doesn't have enough self-confidence. She has this great guy (Jim) completely in love with her but she's marrying someone else for security and comfort but certainly not happiness.

So, the season finale. There was a confession. And there were tears. And then there was seriously the most fabulous kiss ever. I'm pretty sure I've never been kissed like that, so directly and sweetly, with no drunken sloppiness or hesitation.

I'd like to announce that, thanks to Jim and Pam, there are now new Boyfriend Standards. (Yeah, there were Standards before, so no jokes!) Boyfriends and potential boyfriends must be: cute. Maybe not hot like Jim, but definitely, seriously, cute. And it's not like personality doesn't play a role in cuteness, so it's not like I'm looking for some male model type. Moving on. Personality. And by personality, I mean wit and intelligence and inquisitiveness and creativity. Someone who gets the sarcasm. Someone who is curious about the world. Someone who has a little bit of an edge, too. Someone with just a hint of a mean streak. And, last but certainly not least, they have to be really into me. You'd think that would be obvious, but you'd be surprised. Otherwise, why would there be books like He's Just Not That Into You? And why would I own it?

So thanks, Jam. Thanks for reaffirming the Standards. Thanks for being cute and funny. Thanks for a super sexy kiss.

7 Comments:

  • Um. Yes. What I wouldn't do for a Jim. My 'next boyfriend standards' seem to be getting longer and longer. Is it that I didn't have any before? I am not sure. I have also added 'some kind of career aspirations', and I don't care if it is plumber, or doctor, or dental hygenist, or artist. It just has to be something, and something other than casually working at Urban Outfitters (not naming names here, but...). Also, I want someone to buy me flowers. Just once. Is that too much to ask?

    By Blogger heather., at 7:04 PM  

  • Definitely not too much to ask. In fact, I hereby now add "career aspirations" and "buys flowers for me at least once" to my list as well.

    If you don't have standards what do you have?

    By Blogger Tasha, at 8:09 PM  

  • I don't even know if sexy is the right word for the kiss. In my mind it was much more pasionat than sexy. Breath taking.

    See i've had the boyfriend who was "in to me", bought me flowers, took me to nice dinners (than asked me to pay), was romantic... but than he fell for my mother. I don't know... i think our standards list get longer 'cause we get pickier and, oh lo-and-be-hold, learn from our mistakes. We start out with thinking that "these don't matter" and then we realize they do... ah.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 6:46 PM  

  • Yeah that kiss was pretty amazing.

    And I'm pretty sure that B was totally NOT the guy for you, regardless of how he feels/felt about your mom. Who he is not in love with. I don't think.

    By Blogger Tasha, at 9:23 AM  

  • Girls, girls, girls.

    These are standards, yes, but may i be so bold as to admit they are "Basic" standards. Last time i checked, most of us go to school & work, so it shouldn't be too hard to find somone with career aspirations...er, right?

    And that whole cute thing hinges a lot on personality in my experience (and beer goggles?).

    And last time i checked, flowers cost about 10 bucks a bunch.

    So the question now is: When are we going out to find these guys that fulfill our basic standards & where's a good place to look?! :D

    By Blogger akd, at 10:26 PM  

  • Leave it to akd to shatter my pride and satisfaction for actually putting together a list of decent boyfriend requirements. However, I have to say that if you think "career aspirations" is aiming too low, you clearly have not met some of the potential boyfriends out there lately.

    As far as cuteness/personality goes, I, for once, would like to date someone that I find cute without the aid of beer goggles. I have not had one sober first kiss since I was 12 years old. That is fucked up. I will accept having a drunk first kiss with someone I already know and therefore can honestly say I find attractive when we're both sober. But no more boyfriends chosen on some wack Drunk Girl Standards! (Did anyone see Drunk Girl on SNL a few years ago? Hilarious, and I'm pretty sure we all have a little Drunk Girl in us.)

    So, ladies, let us unite, raise the Boyfriend Bar, and stop settling when we know we deserve better!

    By Blogger Tasha, at 9:33 AM  

  • Hear Hear!!

    By Blogger akd, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home