Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Info*nation

For those of you who don't know what I do, I'm currently in the process of obtaining a master's in information studies, with a focus in archives that is becoming more of a focus in libraries (I didn't really like my archives classes all that much).

I was originally drawn to this profession because I love reading. It was pretty much as simple as that, with an added interest in literacy and access to information. After a few retail customer service jobs, I was kind of turned off from working with the public, so I thought I'd pursue archives as a way of getting more into the reference and research aspect of information studies.

As I have limited professional experience in either an archives or a library, I'm not really sure which one I prefer. What I do know is that I do not care for the theory of information studies or archives, nor am I particularly interested in the endless stream of new technologies that is constantly parading by. I think that I'm into a more down-home, simple, Luddite desire to promote literacy and books; and to remind people that, even in this fast-paced technophile world, you will never need a machine to read a book. I may be perennially unemployed in the future due to my lack of interest/ability in the technology sector, so my opinion may be moot. Anyway, I usually do not wax poetic or rhapsodic or anything, really, about information studies on this blog.

However, this Info*nation business caught my eye. I'm usually not a shill for--well, for anything, really. (Except maybe yarn stores.) However, I'm at work, and I'm browsing through information studies-related journals looking for book reviews, and I came across a very hip ad featuring a guy getting "Info*nation" tattooed onto his arm. The tag line says, "It's in the blood," and underneath is the phrase, "choose a career in libraries."


Clearly, this is designed to appeal to the young, hip twentysomething who takes pride in the geekiness and techno-appeal of his or her chosen profession or potential profession. I'm hoping it won't dwell on the technological aspect of it, since I really don't care about the latest in RAM or meta-beta-blahblahblah-whatever. I'm hoping that they will provide some interesting insights into a profession that seems to be constantly at odds with itself (does it embrace technology, as it would seem to love to do, or shy away from it because of a lack of resources? do patrons really show library loyalty, or can they do without brick and mortar libraries with the advent of the internet? are there jobs available, as the greying of the profession would suggest, or is it a no-man's-land of unemployment, as a bunch of recent articles would have me believe?).

Anyway, the site's launch isn't until July 1st, but they do have some info up and it's worth checking out. It'll be interesting to see what the site turns out to be like.

1 Comments:

  • I think you should be an editor or a book promoter. Somewhere where you can utilie your awsome editing skills that you did on my cover letter yet share your love for books... I know i'm the one who encouraged your archiving thing but... hey i'll just encourage you in general... GO TASHA!
    hows that?

    By Blogger Aundra, at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home