Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Hollister = vomit

I was reading the Style section of the Globe and Mail this morning, and there was an article about the clothing store Hollister. Now, I've never actually been inside a Hollister, but I have had plenty of experience with Abercrombie & Fitch, the company that owns Hollister and has been famous/notorious for years for their abundantly homoerotic quarterly catalogues (now defunct, I believe). Have I mentioned that I hate A&F? Not for the catalogues, which I thought were hilarious, but for their simple ubiqituousness (is that a word?)and cooler-than-thou attitude. Why do stores only hire skinny hot people? I mean, A&F does it, American Apparel does it, I'm sure Hollister does it. As if it's not enough that magazines emphasize lean, lithe bodies and flawless features, now you can't even get the typical teenager/twenty-something retail clothing job without being gorgeous. Ugh. I stopped even looking at A&F years ago, although I will admit that I like American Apparel, mainly because of their commitment to sweatshop-free production.

Anyway, this article explained how Hollister was geared toward the under-20 crowd and how the stores are designed to look like beach shacks, complete with interior lighting so dark it's hard to see the merchandise. This aesthetic has apparently agreed with the company, as the VP of blahblahblah was singing its praises--We make blahblahblah millions a year without even advertising, the kids love us, nobody wants to be told what "cool" is when they can discover it for themselves, everyone is unique, etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Um. Here's a thought: the kids who shop at Hollister are not exactly the archetype of "unique" cool if they are following the latest in mallrat trends. Here's another: I'm pretty sure you actually do plenty of advertising, Hollister, since you can't swing a pair of "distressed" jeans in this town without hitting a group of high schoolers wearing t-shirts with your name plastered all over their chests. If college students are indeed putting your shopping bags on their dorm room walls as decoration, as the article claimed, they need to get a hobby. Congratulations for becoming yet another in the long line of corporate brands that make it just a little bit harder for people to think for themselves.

I'm so tired of these stores with their insane ideas of what constitutes cool. What happened to not putting your logo across women's breasts or asses or across men's pecs? Do I have to be a walking advertisement for some lame-ass company? What happened to hiring all kinds of people, not just the skinny hot ones? What happened to selling a product with a hint of imagination? It really doesn't take much to grab a t-shirt, scrawl "Hollister" across the front, and sell it for some ridiculous mark-up to kids who're so well branded that they don't know any better.

2 Comments:

  • You are right.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 8:02 PM  

  • I think i've heard this rant before... but not for a long time so I'd good to see it back again. There are times I miss the Tasha rants.
    PS> I'm so working on finding a time to come out there but right now it is a close second to finding a job. But i'm trying at both!

    By Blogger Aundra, at 12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home