Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Friday, June 16, 2006

The glory of 20/20 hindsight

There was a boy I dated in college. It was definitely an epic relationship--3 1/2 years, and we lived together for 1 1/2 of those years. We started dating when we were 18 and broke up when we were 22. He was most certainly the one who I fell in love with and who broke my heart. (Not that I didn't have a lot to do with the end of our relationship.)

Anyway, we're still sort of in touch. He called me last year on my birthday. This year I got an email. (My mom says he remembers my birthday because after we broke up, he went out with a girl who shares my birthday. Bitch! The girl, not my mom.) I emailed him on his birthday, as well. My brother is thinking of moving to California, and as this ex-boyfriend was living in northern California the last I knew of his whereabouts, I thought I'd send him an email asking if he would be willing to help my brother out. The ex kindly gave me his brother's contact info, as the ex is now living in Barcelona, Spain. That's cool, I love Barcelona.

What I don't love, however, is the ex's email. For example, he's not "living" in Barcelona, he's "L.I.V.I.N" in Barcelona. Is that a reference to Ricky Martin, like Livin La Vida Loca? I seriously can't figure it out. He refers to Canada as "Kanukistan," which is kind of offensive, and is spelled incorrectly anyway (should be "Canuckistan"). Florida, my home state, is called "Flaurida," which I suppose is the way some Floridians pronounce the word, but still.

The ex is a brilliant guy, far smarter than I could ever hope to be. He and I were compatible in so many ways, and lately I've been thinking about how I haven't really met anyone I'm as compatible with since. Until now, that is. Maybe I used to find his semantic antics (how's that for annoying) cute, but now I just want to bash my head against the monitor and tell him to stop, for the love of God.

3 Comments:

  • Lame. You must be so pleased you guys ended it when you did. I hate lame-ass slang.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 5:11 PM  

  • you know how i feel about that

    By Blogger Aundra, at 8:03 PM  

  • Hahaha! Sounds like he hasn't changed! Except for living in Barcelona.
    Maybe it was a reference to Dazed & Confused..."L-I-V-I-N." (Mmm..Matthew McConnaughey's tight pink jeans).
    :)

    By Blogger Kristen, at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home