Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Monday, May 22, 2006

Welcome back


I arrived from Istanbul yesterday afternoon after a truly fabulous two weeks in Turkey. What an amazing country. We spent four days in Istanbul then drove down the Aegean coast, where we saw the ruins of Troy, Assoss, and Ephesus, among others. We then drove east to the lake district, where we stayed for three days on Lake Egirdir before driving back up to Istanbul.

Here are some of my favorite places out of everything we saw.
















The Aya Sofya in Istanbul
















The harem at Topkapi Palace in Istanbul

















The ruins at Troy--though they're not as spectacular as those at Ephesus or Priene, they were the first that we saw and I looooved them.





















The temple to Athena at Assoss. That's my dad in this picture. I took a lot of film pictures of the site minus people, but not a lot of digital ones.





















The countryside around Lake Egirdir.

Those are just some of the cool places that we saw. Over the next few days I'll be posting more pictures and writing about some of the other places we visited. Right now though, I am seriously disoriented timewise and I managed to pick up some sort of bug. I've been living on ibuprofen and water for the past three days. I was totally Patient Zero on my flight from Milan yesterday--at one point I was shivering uncontrollably, as well as crying, cause I was feverish and had the worst body aches, and woe be unto those who were unfortunate enough to sit next to me. Though, judging from the amount of people coughing and sneezing, I suspect that the entire aircraft was infected with the bulk version of general traveller's malaise. Anyway, thank God that this is Victoria Day in Canada and is some kind of holiday where I don't have to go to work, so I can relax, catch up on the last two episodes of the OC (I know what happens, though, thanks to Lorien [I asked her to tell me] and a bunch of websites, and I have to say, holy fucking shit).

5 Comments:

  • Woman! I love your pictures! It sounds like you had a wonderful time, except for being sick on the plane. I got a sinus infection on my trip. Wee! I can't wait to hear more! Here are some of my London pictures if you're interested:

    http://web.mac.com/mehlan

    By Blogger Kristen, at 10:39 AM  

  • Hi Welcome back!! Those pictures are beautiful. In the past 2 weeks I have been in meetings, more meetings and am now in trade show hell at the Javitz Center. So you definitely win.

    By Blogger McGeekan, at 9:09 PM  

  • Hope you feel better and I hope you're over the hating me thing for only asking two questions about Turky. Talk to you soon.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 10:57 PM  

  • Good to have you back and posting! We missed you.

    The first and last pictures seriously look like postcards...they are beautiful! The view of Istanbul is incredible and I'm surprised that Turkey has such natural spaces, given that it is part of such an ancient civilization.

    Yes, I agree...OH MY GOD!!! They can't kill Marissa. Just as I was starting to like her. I almost cried during the last scene of the season finale.

    I expect to see many more postings chronicling your trip. Now we have to get a hookah.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 12:01 AM  

  • Wow, it must have been so surreal to be in a place like that. That top photo is incredible. I can't wait to hear your stories in person!

    By Anonymous Anabela, at 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home