Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Happy birthday to me

Look at the cool shit I got from Aundra. She constantly amazes me. After years of giving me unrequested Eeyores--and I am not a stuffed animal person, though I do love Fancy Gay Winter Eeyore dearly--she put her crafting skills to good use and modified a corduroy bag (in my favorite color, no less) to turn it into a knitting bag.


She separated the lining from the rest of the bag and sewed needle slots into it (I'm not sure how):


She also got me the coolest shirt ever:


It's from the California chapter of NOW. I would post a picture of me wearing it but the weather here has rendered me unfit for the public eye.

I should be sequestered in my house during the summer months--when it gets hot and humid, my hair turns simultaneously limp and frizzy (I'm pretty sure this is a feat of nature) and my skin just melts. The temperature was 33 degrees Celsius at 8:15 this morning. That's 91.4 degrees Fahrenheit for my American friends (and myself, actually, as I have totally mastered Winter Celsius-to-Fahrenheit Conversion for Americans but have not yet done it for the summer). 91 degrees at 8 o'clock in the morning. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. That's, like, Miami weather. Except that in Miami we have air conditioning. My apartment is a sauna. So is my office. Which, actually, does have AC but part of the system is broken. Our part, of course. Just sitting indoors makes me sweat.

Anyway, this evening after work I went and bought a keyboard and mouse. I use a laptop with a track pad and I've noticed that lately, my right hand hurts after using the track pad for too long. Also, typing on a laptop is horrible for your wrists. My fingers have gone numb from knitting for too long, as well, so I figured that in the interest of possibly staving off RSI or carpal tunnel for as long as possible, I'd get an ergonomic keyboard and a mouse. And so I did and it's definitely a lot nicer to type on a full-size keyboard than on a laptop.

I have done a bit of knitting but not enough to post pictures of just yet. I made what I thought were the appropriate modifications to the Urban Aran pattern, but when I cast on and knitted a couple rows, it was just enormous. As I've said before, I'm not very big and I really can't wear large clothes or I just disappear. So I had to scrap the idea of the Urban Aran. I was going to just make some pretty intense changes to the pattern but then I figured that if I was going to go through the trouble to do that, I might as well just design my own sweater. I have a couple of ideas in the works and when I have a large enough gauge swatch I'll post pictures of it.

Until then, I'm going to go make a smoothie and sit in front of the fan and sweat. I know, it sounds sexy, but it's really not.

2 Comments:

  • great t-shirt!

    its right up there with the one i saw in Bust that pictured a unicorn mounting another unicorn.

    its a whole special level of awesome.

    By Blogger al, at 2:38 PM  

  • I know i kick ass. The bag should fit all size of needles (14in) was what i thought i had measured. I was going to make you some smaller pockets for smaller needles but i thought you could hand sew the pockets to make your own smaller slots. I didn't know what you'd be fitting in there. And i still have figured out how to make good pockets for circular needles.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home