Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Spinny McGee

Last night, I took a break from magic loop knitting to wind some yarn and knit up some swatches from handspun yarn. I definitely have the worsted-weight spinning thing down--these swatches were knitted using 4.0mm needles and--huh, actually I have no idea what the gauge is. I know I could go find out but I'm pretty comfortable writing this from my bed.

I love the soft variegation of the purple yarn and the green yarn.




























I'm not really sure what I'll do with this yarn...at one point, I was going to spin some white merino that I have and with the purple, green, and white, make a garment. I probably won't have enough though. Still, I'd like to make something wearable, not just hats and mittens, which seem to be my mental backup projects.


This yarn is God knows what, possibly merino, and it's Navajo-plied. I was thinking of getting some white yarn, or perhaps gray, and doing some sort of honeycomb stitch thing, where you can see the color changes, sort of like this (you have to scroll down on the linked page to see the honeycomb slip stitch that I'm talking about). Again, I don't know what I'll make with it. I still have a lot more left to spin. God I have so much spinning to do.













Anyway, here's a final image of the three swatches.

3 Comments:

  • I like the honeycomb idea (that page has some awful ideas though). I also liked the textured stitch idea. I think the reddish one might look good by itself as a garment...a cabled sweater would look cool 'cuz you'd be using a really original yarn to knit a traditional garment.

    Also, what is the Navajo style?

    Congratulations! Your swatched look lovely.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 10:06 PM  

  • Is it when you ply clockwise? I like the way it looks.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 10:10 PM  

  • Ok, I know this is my third post in about 5 minutes but...I read about Navajo plying and it sounds confusing. So you will just have to demonstrate some day.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home