Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I am the master of the Magic Loop



So, on Friday before we left for Montreal, I decided I needed a good portable knitting project. I finished my dad's socks, didn't want to bring my sweater, and didn't want to start my mom's socks on the bus. I acquired a skein of Opal sock yarn a couple of months ago and, having heard all about the Magic Loop technique for knitting small items in the round. Normally, socks and other small items are knit on double-pointed needles. I've never had any problems using them but I also don't knit many socks, and I think that the reason is that I'm a really slow knitter on dpns. For some reason, I can't knit continental-style when using dpns, and I find continental to be infinitely faster than the English style. Anyway, when I heard about the magic loop, I was intrigued. I tried knitting socks once using two circular needles (think Cat Bordhi's Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles), but I didn't get very far. One circular needle, on the other hand, seemed manageable. I found a pattern for a simple toe-up sock online and printed it, and by the time the bus had left the station in Toronto, I'd figured out the figure 8 cast on and the principle of magic loop knitting.

I am in love with not having to graft the toe of this sock:

The red bit in the center is the figure 8 cast on. I can't explain why or how this cast on means that there is no grafting. I just know that it does.

This is how much progress I've made since Friday night:

That is pretty impressive for me. I am a sloooooooow sock knitter. Have I mentioned that I LOVE MAGIC LOOP KNITTING??????

3 Comments:

  • I have to learn this magic loop knitting thing. It would be cool to use to knit a sweater in the round.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 11:12 AM  

  • i see you got the natassia book as well...any good?

    By Blogger al, at 7:26 PM  

  • the natassia book was decent. i thought that the end left something to be desired, but it was certainly an interesting exploration of adolescent angst and parenting choices. i think that the author is a good writer who maybe needs some help with the concept of denouement (sp?).

    By Blogger Tasha, at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home