Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Wee little things


I am not a bubbly person by nature (ask anyone who's ever met me. I am constantly being told that I need to smile more, usually by strangers who see me walking down the street. To them I say, "Fuck off!"), but spring makes me indescribably happy. Growing up in Miami where everything is green year-round, I hadn't ever seen spring until I went away to college. Now, you can argue with me until the cows come home about how Portland doesn't have a real winter and therefore doesn't have a real spring, but I beg to differ. Until you've hung out on the waterfront under the blossoming cherry trees, or driven the Fruit Loop in the Columbia Gorge, you have no idea what you're talking about. Spring is the most amazing season. Even for those of us who generally aren't given to waxing rhapsodic about the changing of the seasons and the renewal of life and who are constantly muttering things about "those damn hippies" under our breath, spring is optimistic and beautiful and wonderful. I haven't experienced spring in Toronto yet so I can't tell you much about it, but in Portland it's such a fickle season. Temperatures can differ by 20 degrees (Fahrenheit, obviously) in one day, and rain and hail even while the sun is shining. But to see the sky after months of rain...
And I think that cherry trees are pretty much the greatest congratulations-you-survived-the-rainy-season gift ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home