Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Last night I bought this, even though I don't need it. Why don't I need it, you ask? Because I already have 3 1/2--no wait, 4 1/2--spinning projects that need to be worked on. But my roommate wants to learn to spin, so she very bravely bought two batts and I figured that while she was at it, I might as well buy more too.

Sometimes, when I'm really bored, I like to go onto Friendster and see what people from high school are up to. I realized last night when I was taking a break from studying (a break that lasted 2 hours), that I went to high school with some ridiculously attractive people. Maybe I'm biased cause I spent time with these people every day, and you tend to find those you know more attractive than those you don't, but I'm pretty sure that when you're in school with models and winners of beauty pageants it's safe to assume that other people would find these kids attractive too. I was talking to a few of my friends and they said that their high school peers weren't very hot, so I wonder what it is about my school... well, the hotness probably isn't limited to only Palmetto Senior High. Maybe Miami has more hot teenagers than most places? Maybe the gene pool is more diverse, with the influx of people from the Caribbean and Central and South America, and so people are more exotic-looking than in someplace like Sioux Falls, SD?

Now that I've indulged my shallow side, let's talk about the book I'm reading. It's called The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery and it's awesome. It's about how humans have caused global warming and climate change. Flannery supports the idea that everything on earth, including us, is part of the same system (called "Gaia," the mythological name for Earth), as opposed to the reductionist worldview, which states that human actions can occur in isolation and therefore, we are not responsible for changes in weather patterns and climate. The increase in CO2 in the atmosphere (a result of our dependence on fossil fuels) is responsible for a multitude of climatic changes (hurricanes, ice caps melting, coral reefs dying) and, if we don't do something about it soon, we are going to destroy life on earth as we know it. I don't have the most scientific mind but I am finding this book to be really easy to understand, and sooo interesting. Flannery may be preaching to the choir, as the people who will read his book probably already think along the same lines as him, but he's saying something that desperately needs to be heard.

3 Comments:

  • i read somewhere that in the past year we have experienced the worst of every major natural disaster--tidal waves, tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.--that we have on record, or evidence of.

    except, of course, a meteor strike. it even beat the dinosaurs. and those beasts look tough.

    By Blogger al, at 11:21 PM  

  • Dude you saw my high school friends. And DAMN is he hot... Ryan so hot. anyways I haven't heard back from him. Ah hottie high school flash backs.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 11:02 PM  

  • Also, this year was the warmest in Canada since they began collecting climate data (3 degrees warmer actually).
    Tasha, perhaps you're just more willing to admit the people in your highschool were hot. I guess there were a fair number of pretty girls at my school (all girls so I have no comment on the guys) but a lot of them were annoying so I just can't admit to myself that they were hot...that would be WAY too nice of me. Besides, you're pretty so who cares?

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home