Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, March 23, 2006

I have been out on a couple of dates with a guy who’s established himself as one of those boys who prefers to be unavailable. I understand the feeling—it’s nice to not have a cell phone since it means that when I’m out I can’t be contacted. Not that my cell phone was ringing off the hook when I did have one, but that’s beside the point. Anyway, most of the time if someone has a cell phone they can ignore when they don’t want to talk, they usually have the conventions of call display and voicemail. Not this guy. He’s pretty much living in the ‘80s, or whatever decade it was before everyone had an answering machine.

I was talking to Aundra last night and we were discussing why he hadn’t called me, and she was asking why I hadn’t just left a message for him to call me back. When I told her about his lack of Caller ID and voicemail, there was dead silence on the other end of the phone. I thought maybe she hadn’t heard me, or had lost reception or something. Then I realized that she had been struck speechless and was just trying to process what I’d said. Sure enough, “I had no idea you could even get a cell phone without those things. Didn’t know they were optional…Where do you find these guys?” Dude, I don’t know but clearly, I have some kind of special radar for this shit. I’m pretty sure that only I would be able to find the one guy in Toronto who is so communicationally challenged. Although, Dave (Lorien’s boyfriend) not only doesn’t have a cell phone, he also doesn’t have a landline. Talk about frustrating. Luckily he’s a) totally in love with her and b) always at our apartment, so it’s very rare that she wants to get in touch with him and can’t and has to freak out that he doesn’t like her and she was imagining the chemistry and the next time she goes on a date she’ll have wrinkles. Which yeah, is ridiculous, but it’s my life and my obsession and I’ll develop a complex about it if it’s the last thing I do.

7 Comments:

  • I sort of wish I didn't have voicemail. I hate it and only check it once a week or so. Does he text message? That is my personal favorite. Look on the bright side: you don't have to worry about those really embarassing, heavy breathing drunk dial voicemails where you tell him that his hair is shinier than Barbie's.

    By Blogger McGeekan, at 1:57 PM  

  • DUDE I'M STILL SPEACHLESS!!!!! I mean shit at least have the caller ID so you can screen your calls, not just NOT ANSWER ALL OF THEM 'CAUSE YOUR BOSS MIGHT WANT YOU TO WORK!!!! Hello, i even have different rings for differnt people in my life so i don't even need to look at to see if it's my family. But as Tasha has stated before, i'm kind of up there in the technological communication department but Princess does have a point... does he have text message?

    By Blogger Aundra, at 8:52 PM  

  • i don't know about text message but does it matter since i don't have a cell phone?

    By Blogger Tasha, at 10:01 PM  

  • Yes, good luck text messaging him with your $15 LAND LINE phone. Besides, if he doesn't have voicemail or called ID, he probably doesn't pay for text messaging either (or is that free?).

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 10:58 PM  

  • whatever, text messaging is so last year. (i say that because it was last year that i had a cell phone and therefore was sending texts.) retro is now in, so it's hip to have a land line and no cell phone. like the 80s.

    By Blogger Tasha, at 11:59 PM  

  • In his defense: I don't have caller ID either - though I do have voice mail - and I don't think I'm that much of a freakshow. Cell phones are ridiculously expensive in this country (not sure about USA, but probably there too). When I first arrived from Belgium and found out A/ How much I'd be paying for the proper phone (as opposed to it coming for free with the plan), B/ How pay as you go wasn't an option for me, C/ That I was paying extra for being able to call 911 ("The Human Rights Cell Phone Plan? Oh no, not for me. I think I should be made to pay for help when I bleed to death!") and D/ That caller ID was extra too I had had about enough.

    By Blogger Sofie, at 10:33 AM  

  • cell phones are way more expensive in canada than in the US--in the US you can get a plan w/ free long distance, nationwide calling, and hundreds of minutes a month (not including nights and weekends) for $40. when i first arrived here i considered getting a cell phone and then i looked into it and was like, ok i will end up spending hundreds of dollars on this thing if it's my only phone.

    By Blogger Tasha, at 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home