Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I live in a somewhat funky part of town, and the major street in my neighborhood has tons of bars and restaurants and, as I was walking home from work this afternoon, I noticed that people had already started the revelry. It was approximately 5:15 and people were out wearing green in full force, already spilling out of bars, and already stumbling drunkenly down the street. I went out last night and I'm pretty tired, but man seeing those drunkies definitely inspired me to go out tonight and see Toronto at its worst (and by worst I mean best).

My mother has a fascination with all things Irish, including herself (she's something like 1/8 Irish which would make me 1/16 Irish, which I guess counts for something). She called me at like 6:00 this evening to wish me a happy St. Patrick's day. The conversation went something like this:

Mom (Keep in mind that this woman was born in upstate New York, lives in Miami, and has been to Ireland once.): Tash? Do you know what day it is, lassie?

Me: Hi, Mom. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Mom: You better be celebratin', my girl. You know you're Irish.

Me: Yeah, Mom, I know.

Mom: You've got that Irish blood runnin' through your veins. Are you wearing green?

Me: No, I'm not.

Mom: For shame, lassie, for shame.

Me: Well, I'll wear green if I go out tonight, how about that?

Mom: If you were here I'd give you a Guinness.

4 Comments:

  • Hahahahaha! Yes, I am laughing out loud right now.

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 7:11 PM  

  • I thought only my mom was crazy enough to do stuff like that! Whew, I'm not the only one with weird (but fun) family members :)

    By Blogger Celtic Knitter, at 12:49 AM  

  • Celtic Knitter--yeah, my mom is a little crazy but I chalk it up to growing up in the 60s. The funniest thing about that conversation I transcribed is that she actually adopted an Irish accent when she said "For shame, lassie, for shame." I mean, really.

    PS--I like your knitted sushi!

    By Blogger Tasha, at 10:49 AM  

  • I LOVE YOUR MOM!!!! She's a little crazy but she's... well... she's your mom!

    By Blogger Aundra, at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home