Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Dizzy miss lizzy

Oh my God. So, I take anti-anxiety/anti-depressant medication. I am usually very conscientious about taking it every day, but I happened to forget yesterday. I am now having these insane fits of dizziness. As in, if I sit very still and don't turn my head I feel fine, but if I even move my eyes quickly I am overcome with dizziness. This happened once before in one of my classes and it totally sucked. And still does. I think I have to wait for the meds to penetrate whatever they're trying to penetrate (bloodstream? brain? I knew I should've paid more attention in chemistry) and then I'll feel fine, but for the time being all I want to do is go back to sleep, but I can't cause I have to finish this goddamn archival description project.

Anyway. I finished Miracle in the Andes last night. Wow. I remember reading Alive when I was a teenager and just being floored by how incredibly unlucky/graced by the will of whatever forces exist those guys were. I mean, having your small plane crash in some remote region of the Andes in the winter is terrible. Then hearing on the makeshift radio you've rigged up that search efforts have been cancelled is heartbreaking. Then experiencing an avalanche is disastrous. Then having to decide to eat the bodies of the dead--including some of your best friends--in order to possibly survive an unsurvivable situation is unfathomable. Then deciding to save yourselves, and climbing to the top of the mountain you've been stranded on and realizing that you are smack in the middle of the cordillera and your chances of rescue/escape are minimal anyway, and when compounded by the fact that you're starving and dehydrated and experiencing altitude sickness and lost your chances are pretty much nil, that's just cruel. But then when you and your buddy manage to climb over 70 miles--without enough food or water, adequate sleeping bags and clothes, or any maps, ice picks, crampons, or tents--and manage to pick just the right route and find running water and stumble upon a group of farmers tending their winter flock--that is some kind of miracle. By all estimations, everyone on that plane should've been dead. Most of them did die. But 16 of them somehow managed to survive despite the most insurmountable odds. It's such an incredible story and reading it from the perspective of a survivor--the perspective of the survivor who was condemned after he returned to civilization for seeming to forget to be humbled by the experience and instead turning into a race-car driver/international playboy and who examines those choices in a pretty honest manner--just drives home the hopelessness of the situation even more. Highly recommended.

3 Comments:

  • Hey, I have a technical question. I like how you and Alli have these links to other people's blogs and lists of the books you've read and stuff but I can't seem to figure out how to install them on my own blog...any advice?

    By Blogger Sofie, at 11:21 AM  

  • If you go into the template of your blog and scroll down to almost the end, you will see some Blogger tags that say something like this:

    a href="http://news.google.com/">Google News
    a href="http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110">Edit-Me
    a href="http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110">Edit-Me

    You can either go to Blogger help for more info (the URL in the second and third "li"s or you can just insert the URL of the site you want to link within the quotation marks, then the name of the site where it currently says "Edit-Me". Sorry, i tried to copy and paste the exact tags but Blogger doesn't allow that on comments.

    I just played around with the tags until it said what i wanted it to say and looked how i wanted it to look

    By Blogger Tasha, at 11:55 AM  

  • Well i have a comment about the actual blog. As twisted as this is going to come out I love that tale. The tragity, the heart break, and the truth behind it all. It's just to surreal. It's like you can't make that stuff up.

    By Blogger Aundra, at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home