Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Archival humor: an oxymoron? You decide!

Last night in one of my classes, I wrote this:

So I'm sitting in my archival arrangement and description class (wow. I just lost, like, my entire audience. Way to go!) and I'm more of less paying attention (less). We had a big assignment due today and I'm going to assume that my classmates worked as hard on it as I did. And that's not a joke--I did work really hard on this one. Basically, I've done nothing but this assignment all week. I've attended 1 out of 4 classes--and it's the end of my school week. Needless to say, I haven't done any of the readings for this class and I'm a little bit bitter about even sitting here right now.

Out of the 20 people in the class, probably 18 of them are archives students; the other two are library science students. It's pretty much this class that both reinforces and undermines my decision to pursue archives. My arrangement/description project was pretty cool and I definitely enjoyed working on it. On the other hand, I just don't get the enthusiasm of my classmates. Jokes relating to archives? I'm not laughing at them and I'm certainly not making them. Overachieving? I'm thinking maybe I'd be a better librarian than an archivist. I'm really looking forward to next year when I don't have to take requirements. I'm gonna take book history and an indexing class (I HATE incomplete indices) and maybe library science requirements and maybe museum studies courses. Yeah, I know, now it sounds really exciting. I should've just gone into publishing.

3 Comments:

  • Omigod, I TOTALLY agree, incomplete indices are the WORST!
    If you went into publishing maybe you could spend your time reading transcripts and getting paid for it!

    By Anonymous Lorien, at 7:30 PM  

  • the real question is, are you thinking of switching to team librarian because we are unenthusiastic/underachievers, or because we have our own action figure, complete with bun and shhhing action? Both, perhaps?!

    By Blogger Fitz, at 11:54 PM  

  • Not only is it the action figure that draws me but also the "hot librarian" fantasy (soon to be made reality by yours truly).

    (I didn't mean to imply that LIS kids are unenthusiastic/underachievers. I'm well aware that Keener Syndrome plagues all three of the streams here at FIS. I'm just thinking that, since I like literature and reading way more than history, I'd like LIS better than archives.)

    By Blogger Tasha, at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home