Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Friday, February 24, 2006

Project Sweater

After doing some homework last night (and by "doing homework" I mean "watching old episodes of The OC"), I settled down to work on designing my sweater. I got all of the dimensions worked out, I figured out the armhole shaping and the neckline and all that. I even figured out where to put the lace pattern. I do have one uncertainty, though--for the armhole shaping, I will only be decreasing 1.5 inches on either side. That seemed incredibly small to me so I checked out some other patterns that feature a similar-gauge yarn, and after consulting them I determined that although 1.5" is a bit on the small side, it's not too bad. I just have to calculate the sleeve dimensions and then I will be ready to cast on! The pattern drafting class at Romni Wools was totally worth it--I didn't really know the rules of garment design before I took the class, and knowing the various formulas and techniques has definitely made the whole experience easier. (Though the proof, as they say, is in the pudding.)

I wanted to sketch my design so that I would have some kind of image to show today but I use a Mac, which doesn't come with any kind of paint/draw program. There's probably some kind of drawing program on the Internet that I can download but unfortunately, I have to go to work soon. If you're lucky, I'll draw it by hand, scan it and upload it after work. Though that does sound like a lot of effort... And it's time that might be better spent casting on and knitting a few rows...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home