Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My latest project



I have been working some more on the green top that I showed earlier this week--or was it last week? I don't remember. Anyway, this pattern has been very easy to work with and the whole thing has gone quickly and well. Last night I was sewing the top to the bottom and it was time to gather the material in the boob area. My first attempt was horrendous. I should have taken a picture, but oh well, I didn't. Suffice it to say that the whole thing sagged and the gather stitches showed. Then I consulted my sewing book. Turns out there's a right way and a wrong way to do gathers. I was doing it the wrong way. I ripped out the basted stitches and followed the instructions in the book and, lo and behold, it looked infinitely better. Now the gathers are more or less where they should be, no ugly stitches show, and when I tried it on, it fits. It's a little loose around the breasts but short of getting implants there's not much I can do about that. Plus, I figure that since the empire waist fits pretty well and it's not supposed to be super-tight, I should just leave well enough alone. I'll show pics of me wearing it when it's finished.

So, my friend Kristen has decided to join the Knitting Olympics and will be making her boyfriend, Drake, a sweater. When she told me this yesterday I thought, "Ok, cool, I hope her project goes well." But then I remembered the Sweater Curse. It goes something like this--women who knit sweaters for their boyfriends, no matter how simple the sweater or how perfect the relationship, always lose in the end. The boyfriends inevitably and invariably break up with them days after receiving the lovingly hand-knitted garment. I think that ladies tend to chalk it up to the tendency of men to downplay the seriousness of their relationships, so when these guys receive a gift that reflects the gravity of the situation because it is handmade, they realize that they are in a Real Relationship and they just might be in deep. That scares the shit out of them and off they go.

Kristen and Drake have a great relationship, they've been together for like a bazillion years (4? 5? Something like that), they live together, and if they had children the kids would be blond-haired blue-eyed beauties. However! The Sweater Curse knows no limits and has ended even the most fairy tale-esque affairs. I caution Kristen to knit the sweater with one eye on the Olympics and one eye on Drake. Is he acting squirrelly? Does he all of a sudden not want to discuss "our" future (not yours and mine, yours and his)? If so, it might be time to put down the knitting needles and stash the sweater in the closet for a while. You can take it out again when there's a ring on that finger.

3 Comments:

  • Haha! I love you woman. I have heard of the sweater curse and I even told Drake about it. I told him he better not do that to me. I don't think he will. We will have been together 5 years at the end of March..and we've even gone window shopping for engagement rings! So if he hasn't freaked out too much yet, I certainly hope a sweater won't push him over the edge!!
    And your top reallly looks cute. I love that fabric!!

    Happy VD! (hahaha VD)

    By Blogger Kristen, at 1:17 PM  

  • Tasha,

    That blog entry was SO Sex and The City monologue-ish. Well done! Only you - or Carrie would write an "Article" like that. You are truly a girl-wonder.

    That's it...change that website to

    http://www.tasha-is-a-knitting-writing-girl-wonder.com

    By Anonymous Ninon, at 3:27 PM  

  • Kristen, I am glad that you have been honest with Drake about the sweater curse. Let's hope he's being honest with you. (I'm sure he is, Drake is one fabulous man!)

    Ninon, I feel like I am Sex and the City. Except there's no sex. And it's the wrong city. Other than that, though...

    By Blogger Tasha, at 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home