Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Little Blue Top

My friend Kristen is knitting the Little Black Top from Stitch n Bitch and I wish her infinitely more luck with hers than I had with mine. There were many lessons learned from that project:
1) cotton SUCKS,
2) don't change the pattern unless you know what you are doing,
3) sewing a seam, while it is not a fine art, is definitely something worth understanding.

Here is the result:



















Apologies for the blur. It would appear that I haven't entirely figured out my digital camera yet. Anyway.
The tank top is definitely never going to get worn outside of the house. I left it behind in Miami when I moved here, yet somehow my mom found it necessary to include it in a package of requested items. It is haunting me. It's the specter of shoddy craftswomanship.

Here's a closeup of a craptastic seam:



















However! Lest you think I totally suck at knitting, allow me to present the cardigan I knitted this fall.
I know that it's missing a button; it fell off a couple of weeks ago and since I got the buttons from my aunt, it's not that simple to replace.

I used Cascade 220 and I had tons left over, which means that this project actually didn't cost that much. I think, though, that next time I make a sweater, I'm going to use thinner yarn. I think that Cascade 220 is worsted and while it knit up fairly quickly, I think I'd prefer something that shows mistakes less. And I'll also do some kind of textured stitch or colorwork or something to give it more interest. But still, I like this cardigan and I wore it all the time until the button fell off.

5 Comments:

  • okay, maybe its just me, but even when you point out what is wrong, i can't see it. i think it looks great. besides, you could always fray some of it, rip it, etc. and pull off that funky/homeless style that is, you know, all the rage with the kids.

    By Blogger al, at 11:23 PM  

  • thanks, al. but really, it is a POS. it fits poorly. let's just face it, cotton sucks and i hate that garment.

    By Blogger Tasha, at 12:20 PM  

  • I feel the same way as Al! I think the top picture looks really cute..and I love the color, BTW. Maybe since I'm doing mine in black, any mistakes will be a little less obvious. I put this one aside for now because I started this: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTwildstripes.html

    I looove it! I'm scared to go back to my tank top now. D'oh! I love your red sweater! You're amazing!

    By Blogger Kristen, at 2:40 PM  

  • Hey,
    You actually knit that red wool!!!! i'm SO SO SO SO SO proud of you. And that tank, looks great way better than my blue sweeter (still in it's green bag). This is awsome!!!!!
    Aundra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 PM  

  • Love the flared sleeves on this one! What a great sweater - good job.

    By Blogger ChristineM, at 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home