Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Fairly Fabulous Fair Isle

My roommate and I took a Fair Isle class at Romni Wools yesterday and were given the yarn and pattern for a Fair Isle hat. I have always liked the look of Fair Isle knitting but had never tried it. We were taught the two-handed method and it was seriously the coolest thing ever. It was so much fun to work with color and learn a new method. The pattern was for a child's hat, and Lorien's hat turned out to be child-sized. Mine, on the other hand, will definitely fit me. It's funny cause normally I'm not a loose knitter at all, and maybe it was knitting in the round, or maybe it was knitting using a new method, or maybe it was me knitting really quickly, but my hat is so much bigger.

Lorien's hat and close-up:


























My hat and close-up:


























Our color choices are interesting, huh? Lorien loves white--she has white walls, white dishes, white silverware, white tables... everything is white, though she usually doesn't wear much of it. I think it's the clean look, the sort of pristine and immaculate quality of white that attracts her to it. She pays a lot of attention to the way she looks and how her clothing is coordinated--and I don't mean this is a bad way, I just think that looking polished in her own way is important to her. It did not suprise me at all when she chose white as the background color for her hat. Then as contrasting colors, the blues and the small amount of brown... the finished result has a very pulled-together look about it, very thematic (snow, winter, Scandinavia).

I, on the other hand, love color. My bedroom walls are what I like to call "Pumpkin Spice"--though to be fair, they were that color when we moved in, but I didn't paint them over cause I thought they were interesting. (And I was lazy. Hmm.. I see a summer project in my future!) I rarely wear only neutrals and I'm not a very big fan of white. I like black but I find it boring. I definitely prefer blues to any other color, though I am beginning to come around to reds and greens and purples. The way I look is important to me, too, but in a different way than it is to Lorien. I dress according to my mood (which, of course, is color-coded)--like, if I'm feeling cheery and fabulous, I'll wear more colorful items cause I want to stand out more. If I'm feeling blah, I usually go out of my way to reflect that in my clothing. Why, I don't know. So my hat is obviously colorful and not in a thematic sort of way. I just liked the way those colors reacted and interacted with one another, the way they contrasted one another.

3 Comments:

  • Hi Tasha- nice to see a fellow GTA blogger- and Romni Wool freak- my fav yarn store. Thanks for coming by my site, and in answer to your question, let me direct you to www.sheeweknits.com who deals in 100% Shetland yarn- the only stuff to use for Fair Isle, and she also sells my kits exclusively, under Twisted Traditions. Tell Anne I sent you!

    By Anonymous Lorraine The Knitting Hammy, at 9:27 AM  

  • Woman! I love your color choices and your hat! Was Fair Isle hard to learn? I love that look too but am a little intimidated to try it.

    By Blogger Kristen, at 10:23 AM  

  • P.S. Woman! I just started my own blog! It kind of sucks right now, but I'm working on it! :)

    http://obsessiveknitpulsive.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Kristen, at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home