Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Designing woman

For the past couple days, I've been trying to decide what to knit with my blue Miami-ocean wool. At first, I thought I wanted to make the Cashmere Lace Sweater from Loop-d-Loop, but when I made a gauge swatch, it turned out that my gauge was a lot bigger than in the pattern. I considered just adjusting the pattern for the gauge of the yarn that I have, but that got annoying. And I'm kind of bad at that.

After much swatching and frogging I've finally decided to just design my own sweater. I took a pattern drafting course at Romni Wools here in Toronto, and I'd like to put what I learned to good use. So... after much ado, I will be making a v-neck sweater, mostly in stockinette stitch (I'd like to show off the colors of the yarn and allover lace sweaters can look a bit frumpy) but with an asymmetrical lace panel up the front, and a lace panel on the sleeves. I think I'll do a picot hem, too. The lace panel will not be as wide as the photos below; the lace pattern is 16 stitches plus one, and while the swatch shows 33 stitches, I'll only use 17 in the sweater.

Here's a couple photos of my swatch blocking:




























Sorry about the weird color quality; when I used the flash it was way too bright and there's not really enough natural light where I pinned the swatch, but I was lazy and didn't want to move it.

One thing that I realized during this whole process is that there are so many ugly knits out there. I spent hours scouring the Internet for pretty lace sweaters and while I did find some (mainly in magazines like Rebecca and Rowan), the majority of the garments that I looked at were awful. There's a Web site that I love called You Knit What that pretty much sums up the quality of knitwear with the advent of fun fur and the "because I can knit it, I should" philosophy. I'm pretty sure that fun fur needs to be banished. If I see one more scarf--or skirt, for the love of God--made out of that stuff I will scream. Oh, and too-baggy tank tops? SO NOT ATTRACTIVE! Call me crazy, but I like to feel at least presentable and maybe even cute in the clothes I wear. If it doesn't fit you properly, maybe you shouldn't be wearing it. Yeah, I know, not all of us have supermodel bodies, but that is no excuse for wearing ugly, ill-fitting clothes, even (especially) if you did make them yourself. If you are at the point where you are capable of making your own clothing, you should be very, very familiar with your measurements, and you should be realistic about what looks good on you and what doesn't. Why waste all that time and energy on something that is going to make you look lumpy, frumpy, and dumpy?

4 Comments:

  • i am experienting with you. see, i wanted to add a picture, but had to put an address...how did you manage an actual photo of yourself?

    (and i think that damn banner may have given me a virus...)

    By Blogger al, at 1:06 AM  

  • I love that yarn! The color is great!! I'm so impressed that you're designing your own sweater. I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

    By Blogger Kristen, at 11:41 AM  

  • Alli. If that banner gave you a virus I will laugh so hard.

    In order to put a picture of myself on my profile, I had to put one on my Flickr account, then use that address to put it on my profile. If you go to Blogger help it tells you how to do it, I think it's under Blogger basics or something.

    By Blogger Tasha, at 1:51 PM  

  • Okay, so considering you had such a hard time learning to knit (I mean, you had to re-start that pot holder like 15 times {so many i just left}) you have gotten so damn good. I mean i was impressed with the scarf you knit me (wearing it as i type! {bad friend my ass... :p}) but that lace on that sweeter is like FAB!!!

    By Anonymous Aundra, at 12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home