Paste it in the head!

Spinster

Monday, January 16, 2006

Books and pictures

So, I just finished reading Katherine Neville's The Eight. I know that the book is fairly old--well, it's not current, anyway--so it might seem weird that someone would be discussing it now. It was recommended to me by a co-worker at Books and Books whose book opinion I trust. Apparently, this book is supposed to be The Da Vinci Code-esque, but I thought it was much more intelligent than Da Vinci, which I didn't like much. I read so many books, and so few of them are actually good (chick lit, anyone?)--though this may have something to do with the amount of contemporary literature that I read, which hasn't been around long enough to have stood the test of time. I have to say, though, that I enjoyed reading The Eight, and would definitely recommend it for anyone who likes mysteries or chess or history.

I took my knitting to school today and I find that working on it during class helps me pay attention. Since I don't need to look at it while I knit, I can watch the prof. Here is a photo of the socks I'm working on for my dad for Christmas(!)














And here is a picture of some purple wool that I spun. I've been spinning for a couple of years now, though I don't do it as often as I knit. I loooooved spinning this wool. I got it at this cool store in San Francisco, and I think I did a pretty good job keeping it smooth and even.















I wonder if anyone else at FIS spins? I rarely meet people my age who do, though there are plenty of knitters out there and spinning is obviously a natural extension of knitting. Spinning is fun! You should try it!

6 Comments:

  • Your purple yarn looks lovely! It does indeed appear silky and smooth (which sounds cheesy, but you know what I mean). You may soon convince me to start spinning my own yarn.

    By Blogger Natalie, at 9:50 PM  

  • i like al. its what i call myself in my head. jerk.

    okay, now, this is going to be on record for the dumbest question ever asked: what does the wool look like when you get it? kinda like a puff ball? seriously. i am just trying to understand. can you post a picture of the spinning wheel? perhaps some kind of instructional video? still, not being a jerk. i can't make that sound not sarcastic.

    see ya tomorrow, my friend.

    By Blogger al, at 11:36 PM  

  • i have no idea how to spin, but i can knit (sort of, i'm learning!) how did you ever get into spinning? that is really cool!

    By Blogger ford prefect, at 11:54 AM  

  • I squeaked at your post - I love The Eight and try to foist it off on as many people as I can!!
    I haven't read DaVinci Code because I'm convinced it won't be as good.
    Have you read any of her other books?

    By Blogger Autumn, at 4:11 PM  

  • I haven't actually read any of her other books, though I'd like to.
    The Historian was a good read with a similar tone, although much longer.
    Are there any other books in that vein that you like?

    By Blogger Autumn, at 7:57 PM  

  • Oh my gosh...I ADORE those socks!! I want some!! Pleeeeeaaaase?!

    By Blogger Kristen, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home